If your home or property has been damaged by a fire, flood, tornado or other disaster, don’t let unscrupulous individuals take advantage of you during this vulnerable time.
Please follow this basic advice before you hire a contractor or sign any documents for repairs.
- Don’t rush into repairs, no matter how badly they are needed.
- Be cautious of door-to-door offers of repair services and flyers or business cards that are left on your doorstep.
- Get at least 3 quotes. Ask for and verify references.
- Get a written contract that states all tasks to be performed, all associated costs and the payment schedule.
- Don’t let the payments get ahead of the work.
- Keep records of payments and receipts. NEVER pay in cash.
- Hire only licensed contractors and check their qualifications by using the SEARCH CONTRACTOR feature to the left.
The Board reminds contractors that they must hold a valid Mississippi contractor’s license in the appropriate classification in order to perform most work on homes and other structures damaged or destroyed in natural disasters. It is the contractor’s responsibility to be sure a valid license or certificate of responsibility covers the classification of work being performed.
For additional information contact the Board at 1-800-880-6161 or visit www.msboc.us
For additional resources See the following: